IV nutrition therapy is an intravenous infusion of medicine made up of a combination of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes and amino acids offered to help illness, adrenal stress, tiredness, stress, hydration, recovery and more.
Recently, companies have begun offering nutritional IVs to the general public to help restore vitamins and minerals they might be deficient in. The IV “cocktails”, as many are calling them, are made up of different vitamin concoctions that can help if someone is feeling sick (cold or flu), run down (low energy, tired), dehydrated (from activity or alcohol), stressed, and more.
Why we need IV nutrition therapy?
Over time our bodies become depleted and drained of vital nutrients and energy. This can be due to stress, injury, activity level, chronic health infections, heavy metal and chemical toxicities. It can also be caused by a lack of nutrients in our soils.
Unfortunately, this means even with a healthy diet we sometimes can’t provide our body with everything it needs. As a result, we can sometimes feel excessive fatigue, pain, accelerated aging, inflammation, weight gain, stress and more.
How does intravenous (IV) therapy work?
IV nutrition works by inserting an IV directly into one’s vein. This is beneficial because it means the vitamins and minerals are deposited directly in the blood stream. A vitamin that’s taken by mouth gets broken down in the stomach and digestive tract. This can limit how much is actually absorbed by the body and the vitamin can lose up to 50% potency.
What are the benefits of IV nutrition therapy?
There are many benefits to IV nutrition therapy:
- It provides the body wit nutrients directly in the blood stream. This allows the body to absorb them quicker and at a higher rate. It also means you may start to feel relief sooner. Depending on which nutrient cocktail you choose, you many feel relief within 1-2 hours or by the next day.
- IV nutrition can help with a variety of different things! One of the best benefits is that IV nutrition is completely adaptable to your needs. Has cold and flu season knocked you down? Did you drink a little too much with friends last night? Do you have a big work project that has you stressed more than usual? No matter what you have going on, you can also choose the IV nutrition cocktail to best meet your needs.
IV nutrition benefits many types of conditions:
- Athletic Recovery
- Adrenal Stress
- Stress Levels
- Immune Challenges
- Weight Loss
- Tissue Repair
- Oxidative Stress
- Cardiovascular Health
What is typically in IV nutrition cocktails?
Some vitamins typically found in IV nutrition cocktails include (but are not limited to):
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C can help boost immunity and increase energy levels.
- Vitamin B12 – helps support bone health, red blood cell formation, energy levels, and mood.
- Zinc – helps your build your immune system and metabolism function.
- Magnesium – supports muscle and nerve function. Also increases energy production and can help sleep and recovery.
- Vitamin D – can help provide energy and boost mood, especially in winter months.
- Thiamin, Riboflavin and Niacin – help provide the body with essential energy
- Glutathione – can help reduce oxidative stress, supports the immune system and is vital in building recovering muscle tissue.
What are the risks of IV nutrition therapy?
IV nutrition therapy is generally safe, with minimal side effects. The risks associated with IV nutrition therapy are very low.
As with any type of IV, shot or injection, there is a risk for infection. In order to place the IV, the skin is puncture by a very small needle. However, IV nutrition should be administered by a licensed medical professional who is trained to properly insert your drip.
There can also sometimes be slight bruising, redness or soreness at injection site. Typically discomfort only last a few minutes and subsides quickly.
As with any type of medication or treatment, you should also consult your doctor first. If you have any pre-existing conditions such as kidney or heart disease be sure to consult your doctor before receiving any type or IV nutrition.
Why we love IV nutrition therapy?
Similar to chiropractic treatment, IV therapy works on a foundational level to help provide the body with what it needs to heal itself. This can include decreasing inflammation, increasing metabolism, and balancing the immune system. IV nutrition therapy is a safe and effective way to achieve optimal health, prevent disease and accelerate recovery.
Get Treated at Kaizo Health
Our goal at Kaizo Health is to always get you back to feeling 100%. Our doctors provide treatment to help you be pain-free. We also have a dedicated team that will work with you and your insurance. We want to make sure you get the most from your benefits. You should experience relief for as little cost to you as possible. If you are ready to experience relief from the pain, make an appointment to see us now.
Kaizo Health offers locations in Rockville, MD; Landover, MD; Fort Washington, MD; and Fairfax, VA. Our doctors an evidence-based approach by combining chiropractic care and individualized rehabilitative exercises. We provide the treatment and resources you need to recover your health. We are here to help! If you’d like more information, check out our blog. You can also take our free virtual self-assessment on app here.