Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJD) is a condition that affects the jaw joint and the muscles surrounding it. It can cause pain, difficulty chewing, and other symptoms that can significantly impact one’s quality of life. While dentists and oral surgeons are often the first professionals that come to mind when dealing with TMJD, there’s another group of specialists who provide significant relief: chiropractors.
Before diving into the benefits of chiropractic care, it’s essential to understand TMJD. The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) connects the jawbone to the skull. This joint is responsible for allowing the jaw to open and close the mouth, chew, and speak. TMJD can arise from various causes, including:
- Jaw injury
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Arthritis in the TMJ
- Misalignment of the teeth or jaw
- Stress, which can cause muscle tension and jaw clenching, particularly while sleeping
Symptoms of TMJD can range from mild to severe and may include:
- Pain or tenderness in the jaw
- Aching pain around the ear
- Difficulty or discomfort while chewing
- Locking of the joint, making it difficult to open or close the mouth
- A clicking or popping sound when opening or closing the mouth
Chiropractic Care: An Overview
Chiropractic care focuses on diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal disorders throughout the body. Chiropractors use hands-on spinal manipulation and other treatments to ensure the proper joint movement of the body’s musculoskeletal structure. The goal of chiropractic care is to provide all the best, evidence-based, holistic solutions before resorting to surgery or drugs.
How Can Chiropractic Care Help with TMJD?
- Reducing Muscle Tension: Stress and muscle tension can exacerbate TMJD symptoms. Chiropractors can use various techniques to relax the muscles around the jaw and neck, reducing pain and improving function. Techniques include adjustments, IASTM, massage, and more.
- Improving Joint Motion: Chiropractic adjustments can help improve the motion of the TMJ, making it easier to open and close the mouth. This can be particularly beneficial for those who experience locking of the joint.
- Providing Home Care Recommendations: Chiropractors can offer rehab exercises and stretches that patients can do at home to strengthen the jaw muscles and improve joint function. They also provide advice on lifestyle changes to reduce stress and prevent teeth grinding at night.
- Holistic Approach: Chiropractic care takes a holistic approach to health, looking at the entire body rather than just the affected area. This means that a chiropractor might identify and address other issues that could be contributing to TMJD symptoms.
Treatment Options for TMJD
From left to right: TMJD Massage, Dry Needling, Scraping/
Pursuing Chiropractic Care
Many patients have found great relief from TMJD symptoms through chiropractic care. If you are suffering from TMJ pain or disorder, don’t wait to get treatment. At Kaizo Health, you can receive TMJD treatment at any of our 4 locations in the DMV area.
Our goal at Kaizo Health is to always get you back to feeling 100%. Our doctors provide treatment to help you be pain-free. We also have a dedicated team that will work with you and your insurance. We want to make sure you get the most from your benefits. You should experience relief for as little cost to you as possible. If you are ready to experience relief from the pain, make an appointment to see us now.